In 1888 it was a group of women volunteers who chose to take action in addressing the problem of unmarried mothers and homeless children in the city of Scranton. That decision brought Saint Joseph’s Center into being, and it is the ongoing commitment from their successors that enable the organization to continue.
Through two world wars, the Great Depression, and more recently, healthcare crisis and government cutbacks, the grace of God working through the hands of the Auxiliary has enabled the mission of Saint Joseph’s to flourish. The annual Summer Festival is renowned in northeastern Pennsylvania. The Night at the Races, Golf Tournament, Chicken Dinner and the Dennis Crafferty Memorial Auction are gaining in popularity every year. All of these efforts, and many more, enable this dedicated group of women and men to finance renovation projects, buy needed equipment and provide holiday activities for all of the Center’s programs.
In addition to its fund raising efforts, Auxiliary members have always lent their expertise in programming decisions as services have evolved from our early days as an orphanage to the multi-faceted provider Saint Joseph’s is today. For over 130 years they have also shared their time and experience as ambassadors for Saint Joseph’s, spreading the news of our services and good works. There is no end to their energy and enthusiasm.
- Mass and Tea Social in honor of the Feast of St. Joseph – March 19, 2023, IHM Center
- Night at the Races– May 5, 2023, Sacred Heart of Jesus, Peckville
- Sidewalk Sale– May 20, 2023, DeNaples Community Service Building
- Golf Tournament– June 16, 2023, Lakeland Golf Club
- Summer Festival– July 28 through July 30, 2023 on the campus of Marywood University
- Chicken Dinner– September 24, 2022, St. Joseph’s Center, 2010 Adams Avenue, Scranton
- Dennis Crafferty Memorial Online Auction– November 10th through November 16th, 2023
- Christmas Liturgy and Tea Social–December 3, 2023, IHM Center