The Congregation of Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM), Scranton, Pennsylvania is a community of 350 relgious Catholic women whose roots date back to 1845. The Congregation founders, Theresa Maxis Duchemin and Louis Florent Gillet, a Redemptorist priest from Belgium, started the Congregation in Monroe, Michigan. Today, the sisters serve in 15 of the United States and the District of Columbia, 36 dioceses, as well as in Guatemala and Peru. The Scranton IHM Congregation is the formal sponsor of St. Joseph’s Center and the motivational source of its mission.
The Scranton IHMs also sponsor the following ministries:
- Friends of the Poor, Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Marywood University, Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Our Lady of Grace Montessori School and Center, Manhasset, New York
The IHM Congregation co-sponsors the following ministries:
- African Sisters Education Collaborative, Africa
- Mother Seton Academy, Baltimore, Maryland
- Nativity Miguel School, Scranton, Pennsylvania
The Mission Statement of the IHM Congregation states clearly that its members are committed to proclaiming the good news of God’s universal love. Since the early 1900s this hallmark of IHM service has influenced the mission of St. Joseph’s Center. Our values of care, concern, commitment and compassion are a clear and intentional reflection of our IHM connection.